AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination) is a College Readiness Program. This program is based on writing as a tool of learning, the inquiry method, and collaborative grouping. The three main components of the program are:
- Academic Support to Encourage College & Career Readiness
- Equitable, Student-Centered Approach
- Motivational and Engaging Activities
The AVID Approach
To close the opportunity gap in college graduation rates among diverse groups. Teacher effectiveness through the delivery of inquiry-based, student-centered instruction. Find inspiring students to take control of their own learning.
The AVID Activities
- Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, Reading (WICOR) methodologies are the basis for curriculum instruction
- Students participate in field trips to colleges/universities
- Students develop academic and social skills for success in all subject areas
- Focused note-taking methods
- Strategic reading strategies
- Group collaboration and discussions
The AVID Parent
AVID parents encourage their students to achieve academically, participate in AVID parent and site team meetings and are in regular contact with the AVID coordinator. Additionally, parents may take part of an AVID advisory board.
The AVID Curriculum
The AVID curriculum is used in the AVID elective class and is based on rigorous standards, developed by middle and high school teachers in collaboration with college professors.
Vista Academy uses WICOR strategies, focused notes and AVID strategies schoolwide.
Apply for AVID
Contact Ms. Wachter, AVID Coordinator or Mr. Hernandez, Counselor for more information.